So this week we've been looking at Drawing and measurement and the way that drawings can become abstract. We were asked to make several compositions by layering up different images to create intresting lines and shapes. We used an overhead projector to view the image on the wall so knew how the overall composition would look with other images layered over. I really liked the effect this gave as it made it easier to pick out different tones and spaces that may be of intrest. Another way of doing this was by using a slide carousel. Different images flashed up every couple of seconds meaning that rather than being able to draw the images out in detail, we were left with an impression, which ended up forming a very intresting linear piece of work. I looked at the work of Julie Mehretu. She uses a technique similar to the one we have been using. She creates huge images using small marks and uses light to project the marks onto the canvas. Her work looks particularly effective. This image below is one I created. I think it looks a bit different in ink as I like the drips and the random effect.
We also looked at mark making around our workshop. We chose intresting shapes and marks from around the room and copied them onto tracing paper, the tracing paper looks great when the pages are layered up over each other. I chose things like an ink mark on the table, the staircase and the pipes on the ceiling. I like the way it looks, especially with the colour behind and when photocopied in black.
No comments:
Post a Comment