Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Cardboard Box Project

So today we were asked to create an intresting composition using a pile of cardboard boxes. I first looked at the work of several different cardboard artists including the artist Alex Uribe. His work is more sculpture based however I like that his pieces are structures rather than random. The boxes we were using were all shapes and sizes and some included intresting stickers and postage marks etc. The first thing was to see how the cardboard could be manipulated into new shapes. It was intresting to play around with the different types of cardboard and see what happened when it was placed under water, or screwed up. Some had a very intresting centre and so it was nice to scratch away the surface to see the underneath. I made 3 compositions altogether, all wall pieces. I used different cardboards for each piece and tried to manipulate them in different ways. I liked the range of different colours that I found amongst the pile of old boxes. Some of the stickers were really intresting and the colours looked effective, like the image below.


I like the range of different textures in the image below. I attached many different strips of cardboard together to make the composition more intresting. I also like the silver tape and think it adds a lot to the piece by introducing a strange colour. It stands out particularly against the brown of the cardboard.



The image below is of my 3rd composition which is cardboard insulation taken from inside another box. I really liked the texture and the lacy effect. I put the cardboard under a running tap and mixed a bit of black ink to give the cardboard a black wash effect. I then attached the cardboard to the wall using copper wire so the cardboard could be manipulated into an intresting shape. I found a FRAGILE sticker which I thought would look nice next to this piece, so I covered the letters with cellotape, meaning when I peeled the tape off and removed the back , the ink would be left stuck to the tape. I really think that this compliments the piece well, especially with the hint of red in the letters. This is my favourite composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment