Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Heat Press

So today we learnt how to use the heat press. I had no idea before I started about the extent of work that can be created by using a heat press. It was such a simple technique however looks very effective. It allowed us to use transfers and experiment with plastics and patterns. I also tried using ink trapped in plastic wallets which melted together when heating. This looked particularly good especially with other things trapped between. I really like this workshop and was surprised how good the images looked. I also tried using bubble-wrap which gave the pieces an intresting texture. I really liked using the gold foil which when peeled off, broke away from the surface leaving small sections. First I just tried out the effect the ink had.


The image below was created by using a heat-transfer. I like the effect, especially with the green ink behind.


In this image I combined the heat transfer with the ink and also put a layer of gold foil over the top, which when peeled off, left the small gold pieces on the surface. I think this piece looks really effective, I especially like the metallic quality the foil has given it.



I tried the same technique but with different amounts of ink in each one. The one below has too much foil and ink which has given it quite a nice shiny surface however there is nothing intresting about the piece as a whole apart from this.


I really like the effect of the gold foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment