Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Paint Workshop

So today we were working with painting techniques. The idea was to block off sections of canvas using masking tape, and then painting over the top, meaning that parts of the image stayed the colour underneath. I built up about 8 layers of paint meaning that the image underneath was very textured and intresting. It was nice that while creating the image, I had no idea what the overall result would look like. This meant that it was really important to make sure that the colours worked together, something we learnt earlier in the course during the colour workshop. This technique reminded me of the work of Julie Meese, who uses newspaper layers underneath but still incorporates the masking tape blocks. I really like her work and liked the colours.


In the image above I really like how you can see where the paint has run underneath the tape, I like the colours in this image and think the different lines are arranged nicely. The image below is of the same painting however I have taken a different section. I experimented with using masking tape to create much more flowing and random lines. I like these lines, and like how the two techniques are juxtaposed in the same image.

So the image below is my second attempt, however in this image I have used all the pieces of masking tape I removed, and layered them up over the existing image. I think this looks really effective, especially with the diagonal lines.



I really like these sections of the image. I really like the colours and think they look really effective where the paint has chipped off. I really like this technique and think I produced some well informed work.

No comments:

Post a Comment